Thursday, August 04, 2005

My World of Songs

Yesterday I was blue. Diamonds and Rust is my “blue day” song. We all have certain songs that we cling to at different times. We are in a certain mood and we will do anything just to hear the right song because of what the song means or what was happening when we first heard it.

Shimmy Shimmy Ko-Ko-Bop (by Tommy James and the Shondells).
This song reminds me of my mother. She did singing telegrams and was an extra large belly dancer. She’d walk into a crowded room in her bikini outfit and some people would laugh just at the sight of a fat woman in a bikini. She never paid it a bit of mind. She would turn on her boom box and launch into her act. “Launch” is the only word to use, because she would completely steam roll the crowd. She would sing her own song, dance along to a couple other songs on her boom box and completely own the situation. She’d make her “victim” play motorboat, and believe me that would leave a definite impression on someone……mama had her share of cleavage. By the end of her gig everyone would laughing, hugging her, and thanking her for all the fun. Years later, strangers still tell me that seeing her act was the best time that they ever had.

I Will Always Love You (Whitney’s version)
I danced to this song with my friend Andre, at a club in Youngstown. It was one of those cases of unrequited love. I would have moved the world to be with him and he liked my friendship……but at least we shared that dance………and that memory will bring a smile to my heart and a tear to my eye for as long as I live.

Come on Over Here (by Toni Braxton)
I once had a dance to this song with a pretty whore of mine. It was quite simply the most intimate dance of my life……nothing but skin and love between us, and no sense of time……the Earth stood still and all was as it should be. Eventually the song ended……but the moment will be with me always.

Don’t Worry, Be Happy (by Bobby McFerrin)
This song takes me back to a hot day in October 1988. I was in boot camp and had just walked into the mess hall. This song was playing over the speakers and there was a company of about 35 girls sitting at a table swaying back and forth singing this song, and laughing. To this day I can’t help but grin every time I hear it.

Conga (by Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine)
It was probably around 1993 or 1994 and we were always at the Interbelt Nite Club. When ever the DJ played this song Cyndi would drop her drink (with not a single thought given to the wasting of alcohol) snatch the hands of everyone in our group and drag us all out to the center of the dance floor. There she would whip the crowd into a frenzy with the spectacle of her dance. By the time the song ended her wig was always askew, her make up running in rivers down her face, and smoke would be wafting off of her Minolo’s.

Atomic Dog (by George Clinton)
This song always me think of the old Greenwood Crew. Marilyn, Omar, Michelle, Shawn, Mike Rozak, and Laura. This song was a staple at every function and we would always dance as nasty as possible to it. We never gave a thought to where we were…..be it a bar or wedding reception…..we never cared who might see….spouses or parents alike were completely forgotten. All that mattered was the song and that we were together for it………bumping, grinding, and everything short of getting arrested……hand placement was always interesting during this song:-)

1 Comments:

Blogger mizeeyore said...

hey miss honey! it's miz e from Chi-town givin you a hollaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

child, u are a trip! but...i must correct you on the singers of the song "Shimmy Shimmy Ko-Ko-Bop...the song was made by Little Anthony and the Imperials darlin'

as a sista who knows her dusties, i just had to kindly correct ya *wink*

holla back at me when you can a'ight?

One Love
miz e

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home